Of course, you may want to discontinue your business at some point. Perhaps you want to stop permanently or just close your company for a short period. If that is the case, you must notify the Commercial Register within 7 days. The law prescribes several procedures that specifically instruct what you, the owner/director of a company, must do and what you need to submit to register the discontinuation.

Winding up your business or making your business “dormant”

By law, there are two kinds of de-registration: a permanent one (also called dissolution or winding-up) and a temporary one (also called discontinuation; in practice, it is often called a “dormant company”). Those two kinds of de-registration do not apply to all legal forms. For instance, you can only discontinue as a sole trader, you can only dissolve/wind up a foundation, but you can discontinue and dissolve a private limited company. So, it is always a good idea to find out exactly which procedure is suitable in your case. There is always more information available from the Chamber of Commerce. A member of our staff will sit with you, run through the forms with you and answer your questions.

More information about the specific procedures is available HERE (in Dutch).

Frequently asked questions about de-registering your business

  • What happens if I don’t de-register from the Commercial Register?

    The Commercial Register is the register that lists all the companies (but all the foundations, associations, etc. too). The register is a decisive source file. If your company is listed in the Commercial Register, it is a legal business; if you are not listed but you start commercial operations any way, your operations are illegal. Of course, that is a situation you want to avoid.

    If you discontinue your operations, you want all your (legal) obligations to be cancelled and other authorities to know that your business has been terminated (e.g. the Tax Administration). If you do not notify the Chamber of Commerce that you have ceased to operate, all your (legal) obligations will continue. You will still be obliged to pay the Annual Contribution every year. You remain actively listed in the source file and so other authorities will assume you still operate. You remain responsible/liable for the business, etc.

  • Can I de-register my company by email / from abroad?

    Bonaire does not use electronic signatures which means it is not possible to certify digital documents. A scanned copy is easy to fake, so Bonaire’s Chamber of Commerce’s policy is that changes in the Commercial Register (including de-registration) must be submitted as original copies to prevent unauthorised persons making unlawful changes to your company.

    You can, if necessary, arrange to have your digital forms signed by an authorised organisation on Bonaire, who then guarantees the authenticity of the forms. The Chamber of Commerce regards local law firms and civil-law notaries as authorised organisations.

Contact us directly